Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas in Florida

Every three years, my family has a tradition of going to my grandparents house in Fort Lauderdale for Christmas. My mother is one of five children, so you can imagine that meeting up every year is next to impossible... so, we've made this arrangement and it's a perfect situation.
I grew up in Florida, and love returning when I can to take in all of the surroundings. Of course, it's the people that I love the most (much of my family still lives down there) but I cannot get over the beauty of South Florida.

One of the exciting things we did this trip was to take a water taxi through the intercoastal waterways to see all of the mansions in the area. I was blown away by their beauty, and distinctly remember our guide saying that one house cost $40,000 in property taxes a month. Holy cow! Here are a few images from the water taxi trip.










My husband loves fishing, and while we weren't able to go out on the water, we did go to the largest Bass Pro Shop store in the country and visit the International Fishing Hall of Fame museum. It was awesome learning about the history of fishing in Florida and about the conservation efforts that are being made to preserve the natural wildlife. They even had virtual fishing opportunities... which we had a little too much fun with! :)



Last, but not least, on my last full day in Florida I took a walk around my grandparent's condo with my camera and got some great images of flowers. Most of what you'll see are hibiscus (my favorite flower) but others are tossed in there too. I just could not get over how beautiful the landscape is!
















No comments: